A gum augmentation is a common dental procedure often performed following a tooth extraction to help recreate the natural contour of the gums and jaw. This is accomplished with bone grafting or gum transplantation. The alveolar ridge of the jaw is the bone that surrounds the roots of teeth.
Gum recession is the gradual exposure of the necks and roots of the teeth. This condition can lead to disastrous consequences for the entire body. The teeth, due to the loss of the gums, can become more sensitive and mobile, which makes it harder to eat and chew.
Over time, gum recession only increases, which reduces the chances of a successful prosthetics. To correct the situation, plastic (augmentation) of the gums is performed – such an operation contributes to the normalization of function and aesthetics.
When is gum augmentation surgery required?
- Exposure of the root is a recession. Thanks to augmentation, you can avoid tooth decay, reduce sensitivity and reduce the risk of complications.
- For implantation or bone grafting in order to create favorable conditions and securely fix the implant.
- To eliminate the exposure of the neck, root of the tooth due to periodontitis or gingivitis.
- Correction of a gummy smile, when the gums above the teeth of the upper row are significantly exposed.
At Brickell Dental Care, the gum augmentation (augmentation) procedure is performed by experienced doctors who have extensive experience in performing such operations.
How to build up the gums
There are two main ways:
- patchwork plastic. The patient’s own tissues of the oral cavity are used, adjacent to the operation site. Such an operation is performed more often – it does not require additional manipulations. After that, the edges of the gums or the flap are sutured.
- augmentation using patient tissue obtained from the donor site or collagen matrices / barrier membranes. The material is tightly fixed in the operation area, after which sutures are applied to the edges of the gums.
Operation progress (step by step)
- Preparation. The doctor disinfects the patient’s oral cavity and determines whether it is possible to grow the gums, and chooses the appropriate method.
- Anesthesia. In most cases, local infiltration anesthesia is used, less often conduction anesthesia with a block of the mandibular or maxillary nerve, depending on the area in which the intervention is performed.
- Dissection of tissues. A scalpel is used for this.
- Carrying out plastic surgery in the selected way.
- Closing the surgical wound and suturing.
As a rule, such an intervention takes 30-60 minutes. After that, the specialist will give recommendations for further oral care and appoint a date for the next appointment to monitor the condition.
You can find out how to build up the gum, the cost of such a service at an appointment with our specialist. You can sign up on the website or by phone.
Please call our front desk to schedule your dental appointment at (407) 989-9999