The absence of teeth (full adentia) requires a special approach when choosing a method of prosthetics. The dentist will tell you which denture is best for your missing teeth. Specialist will make a choice based on the clinical features of the case, the wishes and financial capabilities of the patient.
If the teeth are missing in the row, artificial titanium roots (implants) can be implanted and followed by prosthetics or a full removable prosthesis.
The removable prosthesis is attached to the gum by a suction cup effect. The base (gingival part) of the prosthesis is made of acrylic or nylon. Ceramic crowns imitating teeth are fixed to the artificial gingiva. The advantages of this choice are:
- the low price of dentures;
- the possibility of removing the restoration independently from the mouth;
- no need for surgery;
- quick fabrication and installation.
However, removable dentures in the complete absence of teeth are not the most convenient option: they can fall out of the mouth if they are not fixed sufficiently. Dentures need periodic adjustments and require special care. Some devices contain a polymer that can cause allergies.
Implant prosthetics – Dental implant
If you have no teeth, the doctor will place 4-10 dental implants in the jaw at the same time.
On the prepared artificial roots, an orthopedic structure is subsequently installed. The advantages of this choice include:
- the secure attachment of the structure in the mouth;
- high level of aesthetics;
- preservation of taste;
- easy care – as with natural teeth.
What is the best type of dental restoration?
In order to determine which dentures are best for a specific patient with a missing tooth, the dentist considers important criteria:
- the cause of tooth loss. If the teeth have fallen out due to gum problems, an acrylic removable denture can only make the situation worse;
- how long the patient has been diagnosed with adentia. In the long-term absence of teeth, there is a high risk of marked atrophy of the jawbone – surgery to augment the tissue may be required before dental implant placement;
- the presence of chronic pathologies that affect the condition of the upper and lower jaw;
- condition of soft tissues, depth of palate, local trauma, etc.
If there are no contraindications, fixed implant dentures are the best solution for the total loss of teeth. Preference should be given to a bridge. It allows flexibility in selecting the insertion site for the implants and is securely fastened in the mouth. Bone grafting is not necessary, it is rarely needed in minimal quantities.
If it is necessary to choose a prosthesis in the absence of most of the masticatory and anterior teeth, an incomplete (partial) prosthetic construction is installed. Doctors recommend that the choice should be made in favor of partial dentures. It is aesthetic, secure in the mouth, distributes the pressure evenly on the teeth.
Classical removable dentures with partial dentures are chosen when budgets are limited. It is recommended to use the plastic denture as a temporary treatment and then replace it with a permanent orthopedic prosthesis.
Stages of Prosthetics
Brickell Dental Care follows the traditional algorithm for dentures in the adentia sector:
- Consultation and diagnosis. The doctor examines the patient, sends him to X-ray and CT scan, and uses the data to choose a type of prosthetic structure.
- Taking impressions of the lower and upper jaw.
- Fabrication of prosthesis in a dental laboratory.
- Fitting and installation of final restoration.
If placement of dental implants is planned, the patient will undergo appropriate preparation. In cases of a large number of missing teeth or complete edentulism, one-step All-on-4 implants protocols are used in practice. In this case temporary light prosthesis can be loaded on the supports within 72 hours after the surgery.
Make an appointment for an initial consultation with our doctor by calling (407) 989 99-99 or fill out an application on our website. We will help you find the best denture option for you, so you can smile again with a bright, beautiful smile.